Thursday, November 24, 2011

Chef Jody's FIRST Thanksgiving Dinner

This Thanksgiving was a day of learning for me...because I learned how to cook the Thanksgiving dinner! It was my first time! Yay, it was fun! Well, except when I had to put my hand inside the turkey's body...I gagged and nearly threw-up! I just couldn't do it. So my step-dad took over the gutting process for me. Once the turkey was all cleaned out, it was ready to be buttered and seasoned. I stepped back in and continued the job, and then off to the oven it went. Next, it was time to chop some celery and onions for the stuffing (we didn't stuff the turkey). I chopped the celery, mom did the onions. It was fun cooking with mom this Thanksgiving :) and learning how to do it all.
Mom actually finished making the stuffing, while I started boiling some eggs. I did my traditional devilled eggs :) That's the one dish that I always brought to Thanksgiving dinner at my Grandma and Grandpa Hyde's house each year. Sure do miss them, and especially missed them today! Once the eggs were done, I moved on to peeling, washing, chopping, boiling, and mashing the potatoes. Yummy! That's my favorite part of this meal! :) (I'm a total meat and potatoes kinda girl!)
After all that was done, it was nice to have some time to take a break. And about an hour later, the turkey was done! It looked and smelled so delicious...it was hard to keep our hands off it. I did have to do a taste test though, I was the cook! lol :) It was soooo good!!
Ray took over and started carving the turkey...that's the man's job anyway :) All my work was done by this point. Mom also made a jello salad, and Ray-Ray made his famous sweet potatoes. Oh, and I made some fun turkey cupcakes too (the night before)! Whew...once all the prep work was done, it was time to eat! The table was set beautifully, the food was all set out and ready to go...Thanksgiving dinner was ready to get in my belly!

We have so much to be thankful for, don't we?!! I'm very thankful that I was able to spend this Thanksgiving in Washington with my mom and step-dad. Its been a long time since I've been able to spend a holiday with my mom. And to be able to spend the morning cooking with her was so great.

Annie and I wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: